Sunday, November 08, 2009

Kendra's piano recital

Kendra has been taking piano privately for 2 years but this year we got her signed in at a music school. We've heard it can be pretty demanding and just weren't sure if we wanted the kids to do music school. We wanted them to have a good experience with music and to be encouraged creatively. But one teacher suggested that of all our kids Kendra can roll with the punches and maybe she should try. Well this week was her first performance and of course she was amazing! The Jackson family all turned out to see her as well and then scooted out while we stayed behind for a parent meeting. The teacher started talking about the year ahead and what to expect when she suddenly stopped and very sternly and with an exasperated voice gave the parents a tongue lashing. "Parents?! Do you think your children will listen when you will not? Please! I'm sorry to say this but I see that just as I have some students who behave and others who do not I also have parents who behave and some who do not!" Whew was I glad that I wasn't talking right then! Later Kendra said, "I thought that part was funny."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to read this post about Kendra. Our kids LOVED the music school - and grumbled about all the theory classes - but fully participated and made good friends there It was a "personal" place for them and they loved their teachers and other kids. Hope the same will be true for Kendra.

Grace said to tell her she's great for having her first recital. Hurrah!
Andrea Pitcher (And Grace)

Barbara said...

That's Eva KozlevÄŤar! I know her! She was my and Neja's music theory teacher for a couple of years. Do they get along?
And that concert hall brings back a lot of memories...
Let me know when her next recital is...I would love to come listen to her!

Lori Jackson said...

Yeah for Kendra! You played great, and we are very proud of you. Keep you head up regardless of how the teacher speaks to you. Remember why you are there! We love you!

Unknown said...

Wonderful!! A girl after my own heart! So proud of her! Give her a great big hug from Aunt Connie, would you??!!

Trisha said...

That is so funny! Glad you were being a good parent! =) Kendra looked super cute for the recital- glad I got to hear the song!

alainaw30 said...

Way to go, Kendra! (This said from a music teacher in Nebraska)

I've got to say...the last children's choir concert I went to was filled with a whole lot of people in the audience who were texting during the concert. They were all music teachers! I was appalled.

Keep up the good work.